Legacy Email service users may report an issue where their emails are not being received by other parties. If they are using our SMTP server they may being marked as spam. There are a number of factors that may cause the spam flag to be raised. The SMTP uses an variety of Algorithms usually referred to as a Bayesian probability algorithm which will calculate the probability of an email being spam. This will apply a score to an Email. Each company will assign a threshold to allow mails to pass through without being marked as spam however any email that exceeds the threshold score will be flagged and stopped by the sever. A higher score indicates the likelihood of an Email being Spam. A score of 10 or above is very likely to be spam whereas a score of 5 is likely to be spam. It is important to note that the algorithms change and update themselves constantly depending on the global reports of spam.
- Mail detected as containing a virus is now outright rejected instead of being quarantined.
- Mail detected as containing a banned attachment is now outright rejected instead of being quarantined.
- All mail detected as spam will now be automatically and immediately rejected instead of being quarantined.
Main reasons for Spam flag include:
- No reverse DNS set up on hosting provider
- Lack of body text
- Lack of Subject line text
- Out of date OS
- Out of date Anti-virus
- Out of date Email Client
- Infected Devices
- Untrusted applications
- Trigger words:
- cancel at any time
- check or money order
- click here
- dear friend
- for only ($)
- free or toll-free
- great offer
- increase sales
- order now
- promise you
- risk free
- special promotion
- this is not spam
Once all these issues have been checked off or addressed the probability of an email being marked as spam will be much less likely and your email will be more likely to reach its destination with out issue. We cannot risk this server being blacklisted as this will result in a complete loss of email service across all Digiweb and Viatel platforms for at least 24-48 hours.
- Check if emails can be sent via webmail from the relevant website.
- Check outlook settings
- Check Second Device
- If you have received a rejection notice – go through this list:
- No reverse DNS set up on hosting provider – you will need to report this to your email provider.
- Lack of body text?
- Lack of Subject line text?
- Update OS
- Update Antivirus
- Update Email Client
- Scan device for viruses / malware
- Device using Untrusted applications ?
- Trigger words (listed above)
What we can do
- While we cannot change the way the server works however we can help you format your email properly to allow it through the filters. We can help you check your machine for updates and help you clean it of viruses or malware. Customers of Digiweb can have a free 6 month trial with F-Secure.
- Where using a legacy email service, it is advisable to change to an up to date trusted email service e.g. G-mail, yahoo mail, hotmail, etc
- Have an auto-responder set up on your existing legacy service referring the sender to contact them at tyour new address.
- Have a forward set up on your existing legacy email service that auto forwards all emails to your new up to date trusted email service e.g. G-mail, yahoo mail, hotmail, etc.